Guess who’s back? Dr. B is back again for another episode. Today’s episode we will hear from Dr. B on what’s keeping him busy these days and also an interview with the very first dentist who made a Dental Podcast: Dr. David Maloley.
David and Dr. B talks about the lack of confidence among dentists, which is exacerbated by our tendency to only talk about the good things happening in our practices. We discuss the self-reflection that goes into building your own practice and learning how to manage a team, and how it’s made us better people. Dr. B also shares some of his experiences with missionary work, a unique but meaningful challenge he feels compelled to undertake.
- When you decide to own a dental practice, you have to step up to the plate and do what is required of you.
- The thing that makes us more fulfilled and makes our practices grow is the psychology of you, the owner, and there’s nothing more powerful in psychology than confidence.
- What the practice requires of me has made me such a better person.
- I go on mission trips because I’m sharing my gift. And my gift is all these little tidbits of things that are lined up perfectly to create this perfect environment.
- I chose to have a low volume, high quality practice even before I started my practice.
- Dentists are sometimes so benevolent that we forget the time and energy that we put into our education, hiring and firing staff, and patient relationships – there’s a lot of equity there – either because we come from humble beginnings or because we come from a place of give, give give.
- One of the first questions I ask dental students is: “why did you choose to become a dentist?”
- The first check I ever wrote myself was $100. It was a symbolic gesture of my three year anniversary.
- You learn a lot from practice management, because when you have a busy practice, you learn what you want and you learn what you really don’t want. And there’s huge value in knowing what you want.
- Don’t treat insurance patients differently than non-insurance patients. Don’t cut your quality short. Do your very best with every patient, even if they’re on insurance.
Featured on the Show:
- Dr. B: The Passionate Dentist
- Chapel Hill Advanced Dentistry
- Voices of Dentistry Summit
- Undertaking the Confidence Quest and Designing Your Epic Life on The Relentless Dentist
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Alan Mead DDS – The Blogging Dentist
- Frank Spear DDS – Spear Education
- The Strategic Coach